Thursday, May 15, 2008

Remember...he is not a baby, but a HORSE!

I have to keep reminding myself of this fact. I have been working with all of the horses and Twister has begun to really see my as a part of the herd, but he also sees me play with the horses. Now, in the play I use the Parelli Seven games which are really just ways to communicate with the horse,like a horse. Twister has really been watching this pretty intently...maybe a bit more intently than I was ready for. Twister was trying to play a little nipping game with me today, this is the same game he plays with the "big" horses. To protect my space (and my leg!) I drove him back, them allowed him to come back to me in a polite way.

This can be more tough than it seems. I see Twister as a little baby and I love that he comes up to me so easily. There was a part of me that hated to drive him, but it was done in a very gentle way using rhythmic pressure and really just moving the air around him. I did it is was successful and I was feeling pretty good about it, until.....Twister decided that when I had my back to him he might see if he could get me to move away from his pressure. Luckily I saw it coming and was able to drive him backwards again. I guess I am officially a "horse", a part of his herd in his eyes.

I will have to talk to the kids about protecting their space with this little playful one!

No comments: